Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Belly: Accidental Broccoli Soup




Sometimes you mean to make one thing but end up with another very tasty thing.

One of those sometimes was last night.


See, I set out to make zucchini-basil soup. It sounded so good and refreshing and delicious that I marched myself right over to Whole Foods and got the two pounds of zucchini and herbs needed to make it.

Then I got home and realized I had bought cucumbers instead of zucchini.

And by 'realized' I mean I was cheerfully chopping them up when my roommate looked over and said, "You know those are cucumbers, right?"




In my defense, they look very much alike and are stocked next to each other.


Anyways, I already had my onions and garlic going so I had to make something. Luckily, I had broccoli, the unsung hero of most dinners.


It turned out very very yummy. And a very pretty color.




Here's the recipe if you want to try it:

Accidental, or 'Ruh-Row' Broccoli soup

2 lbs broccoli
1/2 and onion
Garlic
Olive oil
A handful of basil
4 cups chicken broth
Salt and Pepper

Dice the onion and garlic and get them sautéing at the bottom of a soup pot in the olive oil. While thats getting going, cut up the broccoli into smallish (think 1-2 inch) pieces. Once the onions are soft and a little see-through, add the broccoli. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let that sit stirring occasionally so nothing burns until the broccoli is soft. Then, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Take it off the heat. Blend the veggies and broth either in a blender or in the pot with a hand blender  (I prefer the hand blender- less clean up). Lightly chop the basil and add to the pot. Blend until it's as smooth as you like. Serve with a dollop of cream, some parmesan, or just in a mug; all options are tasty.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment